what's the story?
Cai Fan is simply put steamed rice with chopped pork and an assortment of vegetables. I learned how to make Cai Fan right before left for college as a simple, home-cooked meal. My mom decided to pass on this recipe to me so that whenever I was feeling tired, lazy, or just home-sick, I could make a simple and easy rice-cooker meal to warm myself right up. This is Cai Fan.
- 1 cup of Jasmine rice (or any plain long grain rice)
- 1 ¼ cups of water
- 1 Chinese pork sausage (any)
- ½ lb of bok choy
- 2 tablespoon of bacon grease (cooking oil will also work)
- Cooking soy sauce to taste (~ 2-4 tablespoons)
- Optional: ¼ of a diced onion
- Optional: 1 rounded/diced carrot
- Optional: ½ teaspoon of minced ginger
- Pour the rice into the pot
- Rinse the rice once or twice with water and then strain using the lid
- Clean and chop the veggies and the pork sausge
- Put the water, veggies, pork, and grease/oil into the pot
- Add soy sauce, salt, and pepper to taste
- Set the rice cooker to cook and wait for it finish!